Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Quick Kielbasa and Sauerkraut Sandwich Dinner

I needed a quick dinner tonight, so I made sausage and sauerkraut sandwiches. I sliced fully-cooked kielbasa in half lengthwise and placed it in a sauté-style frying pan (a frying pan with taller-than-normal edges). I added about 1 cup of apple juice (apple cider would work even better if you have it!) and mixed in about a tablespoon of grainy mustard. Then I simmered the mixture over medium heat until the apple juice was slightly reduced and the sausages were heated through. I added sauerkraut to the pan and heated it through.

Meanwhile I “grilled” some rye bread: I did this similarly to how I would make a grilled cheese sandwich, but minus the cheese. I spread one side of the bread with reduced-fat mayonnaise (you might be used to using butter - I've never heard of anyone else using mayo to make grilled sandwiches besides me and my family). Then I placed the bread in a frying pan over medium-high heat, mayo-side down, and fried the it until it was a nice, golden brown.

To assemble the sandwich, I spread the ungrilled side of the bread with mustard, then topped it with the kielbasa and sauerkraut. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment